BROMSGROVE Sporting battled their way to a 1-0 win over AFC Wulfrunians this week in the wake of manager Paul Smith's decision to step down at the end of the season.

Smith admitted to being unhappy at Bromsgrove for the past 12 months but insisted: "The football has to take centre stage at the moment. I'm only concentrating with matters on the pitch. We just have to buckle down now and try to win the league for our wonderful supporters.

"There's plenty of time to worry about other things later when we go our separate ways.

"Performances are not key at present, it's the results that really matter and we have to treat all our remaining games like cup finals".

Close on 800 supporters packed into the Victoria Ground to witness the 1-0 win over Wulfs, but Smith admitted: " I felt really sorry for Wulfs because they deserved to get something out of the game and the result was harsh of then. They played really well in the first half but we were much better after the interval."

It was Richard Gregory who again came up with the all-important goal after 76 minutes and Smith will be looking for a similar points haul when the Rouslers travel to strugglers Rocester this Saturday.

The Sporting boss confirmed: "We've already learnt this season not to take anyone lightly at this level of football and Rocester will represent another tough challenge. We have to make sure we go there with the right mentality.

"The players are fine with current situation we find ourselves in. They're a close-knit group and they want to win the league just as much as I want to. They are all fully focused on winning promotion".

Bromsgrove bosses have now offered Smith a meeting to discuss the recent events that led to his resignation announcement.

Meanwhile, the manager will be able to include Guy Clarke in his squad at Rocester after the defender visited a specialist last Friday over his reoccurring ankle injury.

Smith revealed: "Guy took a real whack on the ankle when playing at Wulfrunians while on the receiving end of a block challenge.

"The ankle kept ballooning up when he trained and although there was no damage to the ankle, we feared there may be some ligament damage.

"That has not proved the case and Guy has been able to resume running without any ill effect".