JOINT-MANAGER Wayne Oliver refused to comment on Droitwich Spa's controversial 3-2 defeat to West Midlands League Division One title rivals Worcester Raiders at Walshes Meadow.

Luke Molloy and Matt Tyler put Raiders 2-0 up inside the first 25 minutes before the hosts responded with goals from Ben Tilbury and Jack Davies.

But with seconds remaining Spa were left stunned when referee Mark Groves pointed to the spot and Anthony Smith coolly converted the penalty.

It led Droitwich to vent their anger on social media while Oliver did not want to make any statement on the game when contacted by the Worcester News.

Droitwich (@DroitSpaFC) posted on Twitter: “Raiders win the game with a penalty in the dying seconds and it is without doubt the worst decision I have ever seen in all the years I’ve been in football.

“Absolutely shocking, never been more annoyed at the end of a game.”

Raiders manager Karl Gormley hit back at Spa’s claims, insisting it was a “definite penalty”.

“They weren’t happy with the result so blamed the ref – that’s the impression I got,” Gormley said.

“Their defender flattened Matty Andrews. He didn’t need to touch our player because the ball had gone so I don’t know why he barged him.”

The result also saw Droitwich’s lead at the top of the table cut to two points.

Second-placed Raiders have a game in hand on the leaders and Gormley said the Claines Lane outfit now fancy themselves to go on and win the title.

“To win it like that was brilliant,” Gormley said.

“The changing room was crazy at the end with all the guys celebrating.

“Droitwich had a 10-minute spell in the first half when they got their two goals but in the second half we came out and controlled the game again.

“They put us under a bit of pressure for about five or 10 minutes towards the end with a few corners but we always thought we would nick one.”

On Raiders’ promotion hopes, Gormley added: “It is in our hands now.

“It is still early days and there are a lot of games to play but we fancy ourselves.

“We fancied ourselves before Saturday to be honest but that result has given us a bit more belief that we can go and actually win the league.”

The top-of the table derby started at a fast pace with Raiders racing into the lead on two minutes when former Spa man Molloy got on the end of Smith’s pin-point cross.

The visitors added a second on 25 minutes when another delivery from the right found captain Tyler who was well positioned to score.

Droitwich then played with a greater sense of urgency and closed the gap when Tilbury netted after keeper Lewis Pinches saved Davies’ driven effort.

The equaliser soon followed as a deep free-kick from Jonathan Brookes was flicked on by James Lemon into the path of Davies who finished well.

After the interval Smith and substitute Roland Krol missed chances as the game looked to be petering out into a draw.

But Smith slotted home from the spot at the death to consign Droitwich to their first league loss at Stourport Swifts’ Walshes Meadow since February.