A GROUP of friends ignored ‘no entry’ signs and went swimming in a Stourport quarry where a teenager died.

Jayden Clarke, aged 18, died after an evening at Shavers End Quarry with his friends in which the group were easily able to access the site through an unlocked gate.

An inquest yesterday heard Jayden probably struck his head on a rock in the quarry.

Senior coroner David Reid said: “I am particularly concerned about how easy it was to get across to what was clearly a dangerous area."

Droitwich Advertiser: Shavers End Quarry. Photo from Google MapsShavers End Quarry. Photo from Google Maps

Mr Reid said it is the responsibility of not only the land owner but also the police and local authorities to prevent people swimming in the quarry.

"I am concerned that just two weeks after the accident it was accessible to the public.”

“There were signs on display to say swimming in the quarry is a dangerous activity.”

On Sunday July 7, 2019, Jayden, who attended Heart of Worcestershire College, sustained a fatal head injury before sinking below the water.

Mr Reid said: “They made their way across the quarry to what has been described as a flat ledge. Jayden and his friends with the exception of Leah Dinnock jumped from the ledge into the water.

"There were some rocks to the right of the ledge which swimmers were using as steps.”

"Jayden was near these rocks. One friend thought Jayden was resting on the edge. However another thought he was holding onto the rocks but still in the water at the edge.”

The coroner said he did not find anything suspicious about the differences in the witnesses accounts saying they are “to be expected".

The friends where then distracted by various things for a short period and “it was during this short period of time when their attention was elsewhere, Jayden sank beneath the surface".

The court heard that Jayden’s friend Harry shouted “Jay's gone” before seeing his friend metres below the surface.

Various members of the group went under water to try to help Jayden, but became panicked and started hyperventilating, preventing them from being able to hold their breath. One of them dove in head first but was unsuccessful.

The coroner ruled that Jayden died of hypoxic brain injury, as a result of an accident.

Mr Reid said: “It may have been that he struck his head on the rocks when trying to get out, however it is more likely he hit his head on the rock when jumping in.”

The verdict was accidental death.