HEREFORD & Worcester Fire Service has reminded the public “of the importance of having smoke alarms fitted” after the death of a man in a fire in Droitwich.

Group commander George Marshall confirmed there had been “no apparent suspicious circumstances” over the fire on Hanbury Road, Droitwich, this morning.

West Midlands Ambulance Service were called to Hanbury Road in Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire just after 8am today following a fire at the residential property where efforts to save the man proved in vain.

Mr Marshall said: “A fire investigation is currently taking place and there are no apparent suspicious circumstances.

“At this time, we would like to extend our sympathies to the family and friends of the man who has died.

“We would also like to remind people of the importance of having smoke alarms fitted at your property.

“Full details of how to keep your yourself, your loved ones and your home safe from fire can be found on our website or by calling our Community Risk Team on 0800 032 1155.”