Lichfield City 2, Bromsgrove Sporting 0

SPORTING saw their five-match winning streak in the Midland Combination Premier stopped in its tracks on Saturday as they slipped to defeat against Lichfield for the second week in succession.

The Rouslers were punished for missing a host of first half chances as they were shot down by a goal on the stroke of half-time and another after the break.

With Lichfield undergoing ground improvements, the game was played on a pitch which was little better than a ploughed field.

But Bromsgrove took the game to their opponents and were thwarted by a series of last ditch tackles and blocks.

Elliott Nash shot narrowly wide after 24 minute after getting behind the Lichfield defence, while Jon Rogers rounded the goalkeeper but his shot from an acute angle was blocked.

Nash then had a 15-yard drive turned into the post by goalkeeper Johnson.

But City opened the scoring in the 44th minute against the run of play.

A free-kick deflected off the wall and fell to Fabian Facey, who volleyed into the far corner.

In the second half, the Rouslers rarely looked like getting back into the game.

Chris Morrison came on for the ineffective Andy Nicol but made little impact.

Soon afterwards Matt Ross received a second yellow card for a foul and went for the early bath.

Four other Rouslers were also booked by a rather fussy referee.

Jacob Snape added a second goal for the home team when Sporting failed to deal with a free-kick.

Sporting’s opponents saw out the game comfortably and came close to making it three, with Tom Savage making a good save and the rebound going over the bar.

Lichfield City: Johnson, Deavall, Hunt, Perry, Geffen, Milner, Thurstance, Bourne, Snape, Minto, Facey (Worrall, 70 mins). Subs not used: Huckfield, Humphries, Moore.

Sporting: Savage, Roberts, Parker, Ross, Martin, Dunkley, Draper, Turk (Harris, 77 mins), Nicol (Morrison 68 mins), Rogers, NASH. Subs not used: Fellows, Marler, Thurbon.

Referee: Mr P Hands (Atherstone). Attendance: 108. Reporter: Peter Bateman.