Southam United 4, Bromsgrove Sporting 1

A trip out into the sunny Warwickshire countryside turned decisively dismal as Sporting succumbed to their heaviest defeat for two years at the hands of Southam United.

It could though have been much different as Sporting started stronger and made their initial superiority count when they scored on the seventh minute.

James Blake's inswinging corner was cleared by the home defence but only to Aaron Roberts who 20 yards out hit a hard low drive that went though a tangle of legs into the corner of the net.

Sporting continued their control of the midfield giving Southam little possession and few chances.

However, a succession of balls into the box were poor giving the Bromsgrove side's front men little chance of extending their lead.

Inevitably the home side drew level when the somewhat disorganised away defence failed to clear and Simeon Smith rather cheekily back-heeled the ball into a waiting net.

Sporting, however, continued to control the game and five minutes later a Jon Rodgers cross was handled in the box and referee immediately awarded a penalty.

Joe Brookes returned to taking the spot kicks but this one left much to be desired as it hit the right post and deflected along the goal line before being cleared.

The second half started with each side pretty much cancelling each other out but Southam closed down a number of Bromsgrove moves whilst moving the ball around well themselves.

Reece Francis got the away side out of trouble on a couple of occasions with brave saves but there was not much he could do on the 72nd minute when a defensive mix up allowed Casey Gaggini the simplest of goals when all he had to do was side-foot home from eight-yards out.

Sporting heads went down and Southam smelt blood and going for the kill increased their lead just three minutes later when James Graham received a good pass from Smith and had plenty of time to slot his shot between keeper and the left-hand post.

For Sporting the damage and humiliation was completed another three minutes later when Ryan Lynch scored a similar goal to the third but this time beat Francis as the shot went in close the right-hand post.

After the match joint manager Graham Scott thought that his charges had not shown enough determination in the second half and allowed the penalty miss and second goal to dishearten them.

Southam: Manuel; Hayden; Buswell (Thomas, 64); Thompson; Stacey; Gaggini; Passey; Cole (Watkin, 76); Smith; Graham; Lynch.

Subs not used: Tomczak; Rees.

Sporting: Francis; Roberts; Deehan; Ross; Thurbon; Brookes; Rogers (Bright, 81); Blake; Conway; Lodge (Blake-Walker, 76); Draper Jnr.

Subs not used: Parker; Baker; Harris.

Referee: C Southgate. Attendance: 131

  • Meanwhile, Sporting’s reserves won their seventh match in a row as they defeated Tipton 9-2 in Midland Combination Reserves Division Two, with John Evans (4), Joe Lawley (3) and Dan Wilkes (2) on target.

Last Monday, Sporting’s youth team went through to the semi-final of the Worcestershire FA Youth Cup with an emphatic 8-1 win away against Evesham United.