Atherstone Town 1, Bromsgrove Sporting 0

BROMSGROVE Sporting put in a spirited performance as they made their Midland Combination Premier Division bow but it was not enough to stop them to falling to defeat at Atherstone Town.

With several members of the squad unavailable, joint-manager Keith Draper only had a few options especially in defence where debutant Jamie McWilliams partnered Joe Brookes in the centre.

Aaron Roberts switched to right back, while Danny Deehan started his first senior game for Sporting on the left.

The Rouslers also handed bows to midfielder James Blake and former Staines Town striker Chris Morrison, who led the front-line with Stuart Hall.

Sporting had the better of the early exchanges with Keith Draper Jr having a shot blocked on the line while Morrison fired over from close range.

As the match progressed, the Adders began to eased themselves into the game and, on 28 minutes, striker Joe Boggild forced keeper Chris Mole into action from 12 yards.

However, the imposing forward made no mistake five minutes before the interval when he fired home substitute Liam Potter’s cross.

After the break, Sporting came out their blocks quicker playing with greater purpose and moved the ball round quickly.

However, their finishing left a lot to be desired with James Turk and Deehan firing over, while Jon Rogers, playing on the wing, shot wide before forcing a save from keeper Sam Slater.

The Sheppy Road outfit seemed to be content to put players behind the ball as they looked to close out the win but as Sporting nearly levelled when Deehan’s 30-yard strike was tipped over the bar by Slater in the dying seconds of the match.

Atherstone: Slater, Stain, Reddish, Graham, Johnson, Culver, Chapman (Olanipekun 61), Bailey (Potter 29), Eggleton, Yonwin (Farley 84), Boggild. Subs not used: Ridsdill, Hind.

Sporting: Mole, Roberts, McWilliams, Brookes, Deehan, Draper Jnr (Wilkes 81), Turk, Blake, Rogers, Morrison, Hall (Kelly 81). Subs not used: Jenvey, Mooney, Brown.

Referee: M Smith. Attendance: 186. Man of the match: Jon Rogers.