POLICE have launched an investigation after a nine-year-old girl nearly died when a bungling pharmacist gave her METHADONE instead of antibiotics.

Little Ruby-Mai Bell had to be rushed to hospital after she was given a dose of the powerful drug which is usually used to treat heroin addiction.

Her mum Donna Buckley, 36, had taken her to their local GP who prescribed her antibiotics for a water infection on Tuesday.

But when they went to pick it up at Manor Pharmacy in The Meadows, Nottingham, they were accidentally given someone else's medication.

Care assistant Donna, who was unaware of the mix-up, gave Ruby two spoonfuls of the medicine but luckily didn't give her a second dose when she became drowsy.

But it was only when the pharmacist knocked on their front door that she was told her daughter had been given methadone - which has similar effects to heroin.

Donna and her partner Ralph Bell, 38, rushed Ruby-Mai to A&E at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham where she underwent a series of tests and was kept in overnight.

Donna, who lives in The Meadows, said doctors told her Ruby-Mai could have died if she received a second dose of methadone.

She added: "Ruby went upstairs to lie down and I went to check on her later and she was really sleepy.

"I noticed her eyes were rolling around and I thought I would not give her any more medicine.

"There was then a knock at the door and it was the pharmacist.

"He said that there had been a mix up and 'have we got the medicine he gave to Ruby this morning?'

"He said she will be fine but wanted a private meeting at the pharmacy the next day."

But Donna and Ralph decided to return to the pharmacy later the same day after Ruby-Mai felt "really warm" and her condition got worse.

They were then taken home and told their daughter had been given a prescription of methadone meant for someone else.

To read the full story, click here.