Pet cat killed in flat fire

First published in News

A PET cat was killed when a candle caused a flat fire in Droitwich Spa.

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was alerted to the incident in Thatchers Green just after 4.30am on Saturday, October 27.

Two fire crews from the town’s station attended the incident. Firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the blaze in a bedroom of the first floor flat.

Watch commander Michael James said: “It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. The man’s cat also died in the incident.

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

The service is now reminding people to take care with candles.

Watch commander James added: “Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care.”

People are advised to never leave candles unattended, to place them on a stable surface, not to move them once lit and to fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree